Every summer, something amazing happens at the Glen Eden Resort near Steamboat Springs. The Cooperative Youth Leadership camp is a week long adventure in life, leadership and nature, and San Miguel Power is proud to sponsor one motivated high school junior to attend.
What is the Cooperative Youth Leadership Camp?
Every July, nearly 100 high school students travel to Clark, Colorado (north of Steamboat Springs) after being selected by their local cooperatives as participants. The primary objective of the camp is to provide an educational experience for young people on the organization and operation of a cooperative. Students will develop leadership skills that will assist them with the challenges they will face in the future.
The best way to learn about cooperatives is to form one, and that is exactly what the participants do. When students arrive on the first day, they form a cooperative and elect a board of directors. Each member of the cooperative is expected to take part in the workings of the co-op by seeking election to the board or by serving on one of the camp activity committees.
A number of special presentations are highlighted at the camp. Students learn electrical safety and how to prevent electrical shock. Students will also participate in a legislative simulation. The entire group will visit the Craig Station Power Plant, the largest electric generating station in Colorado, and the Trapper Coal Mine which supplies Craig.
Of course, there is plenty of time for FUN! Glen Eden Resort has volleyball courts, a swimming pool, hot tubs, and tennis courts. There will be nights by the campfire, dances, banquets, pizza parties, trips to the top of Mt. Warner, and time to explore Steamboat Springs, one of the premier ski resorts in the world.
2018: July 14 - 19
Students must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- Be a current high school sophomore or junior (during the 2017 - 2018 school year).
- Be between the ages 16 - 18 as of January 1, 2018.
- Live in a household that receives electricity from San Miguel Power Association. Your parents or guardians must be members of San Miguel Power.
- Return your completed page 1 of the 2018 CREA CEEI Youth Leadership Camp Application (Winner(s) will be required to fill out additional application pages.)
by email or to San Miguel Power (see address below) by the close of business on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
- an infographic (covering one 8.5" x 11" page, including text and images) see www.slideshare.net/BernardMarr/what-is-an-infographic for inspiration
- or a 1 -3 minute video (Submit a hyperlink pointing to video hosted on 3rd party (YouTube, Dropbox, etc) site)
Either of these should answer the following prompt:
Explain the role of the board of directors at a rural electric cooperative and why the board is important.
- (See this page for resources to aid your research.)
- (See this packet to aid with your infographic or video)
SMPA Youth Programs
c/o Alex Shelley
PO Box 1150
Ridgway, CO 81432
More Information can be found at http://www.crea.coop