Skip to main navigation.

Member Dividends


As a cooperative, San Miguel Power Association (SMPA) is owned by its members, and member dividends, also known as "capital credits", reflect each member’s ownership in the cooperative.  

In a typical year, SMPA tries to collect slightly more than enough revenue to cover its expenses. The excess revenue, called “margins” is allocated to each consumer in proportion to their contributions for that year.  For a period of time, this capital can be used by the cooperative to finance operations and construction.  This helps keep rates at an affordable level by reducing the amount of funds that must be borrowed to maintain and enhance SMPA’s existing electric system. When the Board determines the time is right, allocations for a given year or combination of years are cashed out as “Member Dividends” and returned to the members. 


Unclaimed Member Dividends:

SMPA is currently seeking consumer-members, or former consumer-members, who are due to receive Member Dividends. In December, 2020, SMPA sent out nearly $500,000 in Member Dividend checks. Many of those checks have not been cashed.

Please check the lists below.  If your name or your organization's name is listed, you may be able to request that another check be issued.  Members have until June 30, 2021 to request another check to be issued.



To claim funds, individuals and organizations noting their names on one of the above lists are asked to contact SMPA’s offices in Ridgway or Nucla or call 1-877-864-7311. Identification will be required to claim the available funds.



Frequently asked questions:

How long do I have to claim my member dividends check?

Member dividend checks expire ninety days after they are issued.  However, members may still request that a check be re-issued within six months of the retirement. The most recent member dividend retirement took place in December, 2020. 

What happens to my family member’s member dividends if they have passed away?

Member dividends can be paid back to the legal representative(s) of your family member’s estate. In order to claim them, an affidavit is required to be completed, notarized, and returned in addition to a copy of the death certificate and personal representative appointment documentation, if one was appointed. Please click here to download affidavit.

Member Dividends that are claimed early due to the death of a family member are returned at a discounted rate.

What happens if a member dividends check is issued in the name of a dissolved entity?

Check to see if your bank will cash the check first.  If the member dividend check is less than $100 an Affidavit Regarding Dissolution of Entity may be used to have SMPA reissue the check in a different name.  Please click here to download affidavit.  For checks greater than $100, please contact us.

Other member dividend questions?

Contact Us.


Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo
Colorado Rural Electric Association Home Page Touchstone Energy Kids Zone Tri-State Generation and Transmission