Start - Stop Service Options
In this section you can find all of the information you need to sign-up for new service, or to disconnect existing service.
Check our Service Map to make sure that SMPA services cover your area.
To Sign-up for Electric Service
Contact our Member Services department at 1-877-864-7311, firstname.lastname@example.org, or print and complete the Electric Service/Membership Application and drop-off, mail or fax it in to your local SMPA office.
Procedure for Processing Service Engineering Requests
If construction is involved for your new electric service, please also download and complete our Service Engineering Request Form and return this with the Electrical Service/Membership application. (If you have questions about our construction requirements, please review our Construction Handbook.)
- All Service Engineering Request Form(s) will require a non-refundable Engineering Design Fee to be paid before an estimate can be generated. Engineering Design Fee(s) are $250 Residential and $500 Commercial. All large developments, including subdivisions, Large Commercial and Housing Projects, and long line extensions may be evaluated individually to determine additional Engineering Design Fees that may be required.
Online service requests are offered as an efficient means to provide electric service in an orderly manner without delay. The process works best when all parties cooperate to provide accurate, complete and timely data.
- It is the responsibility of the owner, contractor, or electrician to notify SMPA's Planning Department as soon as possible, of the proposed project by filling out the request form, returning it and paying the Engineering Design Fee, if required. All sections of the form should be filled out including an accurate Service Address. The request should provide sufficient lead time for engineering, right-of-way acquisition, determination fo charges and contract terms, allowances for mailing and return on accepted contract terms, payment of charges and construction scheduling.
- Due to high member demand for upgrades and new services, there is a lead time of 3 to 6 weeks following receipt of the above information for a formal estimate and project design to be completed. The formal estimate must be paid in full and all easements / rights-of-way signed, notarized, and returned, if needed.
- Construction scheduling cannot take place until items (1) and (2) above have run their course and the job is presented to the construction department. A lead time of 4 to 14 days can be expected following the construction department's receipt of the job. This may increase based on material availability.
- Setting of the new meter and energizing the service generally takes 3 business days after SMPA has been notified by the owner or contractor that the service has been inspected and approved by the state electrical inspector, if applicable.
To discontinue your electric service download, complete and return this form: SMPA Electric Service Disconnect Request Form
Forms can be emailed to email@example.com, dropped off, mailed or faxed to your local SMPA office.